Wednesday, October 4, 2023


I didn't sleep well last night so I was tired today. Nevertheless, I finished the bottom row. The challenge here was to take a small section of the original block and blow it up big.  


Here are some of the other students work: 






The next step of the assignment was to rearrange the 12 blocks into some kind of dynamic whole. This was pretty baffling for me. From what I've been able to figure out this assignment is all about negative space. Forget the black figures and concentrate on the shapes that make up the background. Using this principle I moved some blocks around, rotated a few and came up with this. 


Nancy (Crow) said it was exciting which is high praise. I felt relief. I can see a few places where the white makes satisfying shapes, but there are a lot that seem clumsy to me. 

Tomorrow I'll start over remaking this quilt in color. At 7 o'clock I just couldn't wrap my head around that challenge, so I came home to the hotel. I'll tackle it in the morning when I'm fresh.


2 comments:

  1. Wow—great progress. Very dynamic and I can’t wait to see the color translation.

    ReplyDelete