Saturday, October 7, 2023

 She came around and said that my orange and black composition was so good I could sew it up without adding any more color and it would be great. Then she said I should do that at home, and use class time to fill in the black with color. I had no good idea how to proceed, so I started out by adding all the shapes in shades of teal. Then she came around again and said that was too safe and to try harder. So I substituted in more colors and went to work sewing it together.


I think it is absolutely ruined. I got three of the bottom row sewn together. I've been studying this photo since yesterday and have decided that the turquoise blue is too strong. It just screams "look at me," and I think we're going for something more subtle, so I'm going to redo those squares and see if that improves things. One thing -- I was worried about reproducing the shapes accurately. Remember, this is all done without rulers, templates or patterns -- just free hand cutting. But they're coming together well.

I include now some pictures of other students work. (In past years they've made a big deal about not posting other people's work on the internet, but this year no one's mentioned it, so here I go). I think the purple one is exquisite.









2 comments:

  1. What a mind boggling project. That was great about your orange and black piece being so strong. Your head must be swimming by now - I’m sure it will all fall into place the more you work with it. It sounds like overall you’re doing really well.
    Stay strong!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Once again, you hold up to the stress and make something amazing!

    ReplyDelete