Friday, September 17, 2021

 We wrapped things up today. I had a good critique in the end and feel successful, even though none of my pieces really came out well. I learned a lot and can't wait to get home and try out my new perspective. Here's the final version of the last exercise. She liked my colors.



Thursday, September 16, 2021

 Today was a happy day. Not too stressful. Pleasant company during lunch and dinner. I spent the day remaking the composition again, this time in color. None of it is sewn together yet. It's not quite finished and it needs some tweeking, but I'm liking it better all the time.


And together.










Wednesday, September 15, 2021

 I've cheered up and am back on an even keel. Sewed all day, like a mad woman, but I got the piece done. Here it is: 



Tuesday, September 14, 2021

Well, today was a shitty day. I failed. I just plain failed at fulfilling the assignment, and now I'm stuck with my failed prototype for the rest of the week.  We were supposed to blow up the little study we worked on yesterday into something big. I guess we were supposed to distort the shapes, or change the relative proportions but mostly I just made mine bigger. Big mistake. 

Small one, 30 x 4

Big one, 60 x 70"

Now we're taking our big mock up and changing out the blacks and whites for shades of gray. 

When we're done with that, which is supposed to be tomorrow afternoon, we're going to do it again in color. 

I'm completely bummed. I'm going to sit in my hotel room, eat low cal popcorn (it's all I have) and drink sparkling water. Then I'm going to get a good night's sleep and see if I can salvage my project tomorrow.

Monday, September 13, 2021

On Sunday I found another park with hiking trails. I set off on a 4 mile hike, but I took a wrong turn and it turned out to be about 6 miles. It was a walk through woods, and not so picturesque as Saturday. I slept well last night. 

Today our assignment was to quickly, with spontaneity, design a small quilt and lay it out in black and white fabrics. We had 90 minutes for that. We spent the rest of the day constructing the quilt. No rulers, no patterns, no templates. This is hard. We had a strict deadline to have it done by Tuesday morning at 9. Started at 7 this morning and finished at 8 tonight, a few hours ahead of the deadline, so I'm in good shape.  It's almost flat. It's about 30 x 40".



Saturday, September 11, 2021

Today was an off day so I found a park nearby and went walking. A beautiful wetland preserve. The trail was grassy, and so little used it wasn't all trampled down.





Friday, September 10, 2021

Today I have new pictures. Here are a couple of the workplace. 



 


and my workspace:


Ok. Back to the assignment. We were asked to replace the black figures with bright colors. The background is to be white, off white or pastel.  Here's how mine looked by the end of the afternoon. I did exactly as instructed and she's happy with my work, although I can see many ways I could make it better. There isn't time to get too fussy. Just move forward. It's a terrific learning process.


If you are reading this blog, would you mind making a comment just to let me know who I'm talking to. Thanks.