Tuesday, September 14, 2021

Well, today was a shitty day. I failed. I just plain failed at fulfilling the assignment, and now I'm stuck with my failed prototype for the rest of the week.  We were supposed to blow up the little study we worked on yesterday into something big. I guess we were supposed to distort the shapes, or change the relative proportions but mostly I just made mine bigger. Big mistake. 

Small one, 30 x 4

Big one, 60 x 70"

Now we're taking our big mock up and changing out the blacks and whites for shades of gray. 

When we're done with that, which is supposed to be tomorrow afternoon, we're going to do it again in color. 

I'm completely bummed. I'm going to sit in my hotel room, eat low cal popcorn (it's all I have) and drink sparkling water. Then I'm going to get a good night's sleep and see if I can salvage my project tomorrow.

6 comments:

  1. I totally disagree that it’s a failure. I see tons of potential in it, and I’m not just saying that to cheer you up. In my opinion, a teacher’s job is to help you define and expand on your own style and voice, not to duplicate her work. And to make a student (a paying student, I might add) feel shitty is shameful. I’m not saying they should lie and encourage poor work, but there are ways to point out deficiencies in work without crushing someone’s spirit and enthusiasm. Remember that you have a quilt in Houston this year if you need some outside validation. Also, some of the biggest successes come after initially thinking a piece is a failure. I’m sure you’re exhausted right now and too close to it. Breathe, believe in yourself, and keep your chin up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Failure is a relative term. Your interpretation of the instructions have merit because you chose your degree of distortion. What you have is uniquely yours. Own it. Because it is really good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Failed at fulfilling the assignment? Failed to understand the assignment? Teacher didn't adequately explain the assignment?

    You have lots to work with.

    Maybe a glass of wine would help...

    ReplyDelete