Monday, October 15, 2018


Sunday: we took a bus to a town outside of Strasbourg called Vendenheim (30 minutes) because there was a quilt show there. It wasn't much, but there were a few interesting pieces.  The first one is completely felt, the second one is leather.




The town itself was an eye opener -- completely new.  Apparently there was a lot of bombing here during WWII, so much of the region has been rebuilt.

Monday: we took the train to Colmar. It's a half hour south of Strasbourg. It too has an old city center which is called Little Venice because there are lots of canals.


We visited the former Dominican convent where they have an altar painting that is world famous.


That was nice, but it was the convent itself that interested me the most. A beautiful courtyard.



In another part of the building, a modern addition, there was a picturesque spiral staircase.


Once again we bought sandwiches at one of the many boulangerie and ate in the big park.


I am beginning to use my French some because I'm tired of Jeffrey talking for me. I can ask for a bottle of water, but not much more than that. I'm going to study it when we get home. Who knows, we may come back. John's going to be here until next summer.



1 comment:

  1. I love that you are seeing the area around you. Bring me sandwich!

    ReplyDelete